Mohammad Shahabuddin Chuppu, a previous decide and flexibility fighter, is established to develop into Bangladesh’s subsequent president as his celebration Awami League, which retains an complete vast majority in Parliament, has nominated him for the forthcoming Presidential election. The announcement was designed by party’s normal secretary Obaidul Quader on Sunday.
The seventy four-12 months-previous previous decide could swap Mohammad Abdul Hamid, the longest-serving President of the nation, whose tenure will conclude on April 23. Hamid was elected Bangladesh President in the final two elections. He was sworn in for his next expression on April 24, 2018. In accordance to Bangladesh’s structure, an personal can’t keep a 3rd expression as president.
Chuppu would be elected to the leading put up as unopposed due to the fact his identify has been nominated by the Awami League, which has 305 seats in the 350-member Household. In accordance to Bangladesh’s Structure, the Presidential election have to be held ninety to sixty times in advance of the incumbent’s 5-12 months expression finishes.
As for each the election routine, nomination papers have been permitted to be submitted until 4pm on Sunday. In addition to Chuppu, no other candidates submitted their nomination for the leading put up like the opposition celebration, Bangladesh Nationalist Celebration (BNP) due to the fact all of their lawmakers resigned in December 2022 as aspect of their anti-federal government marketing campaign forward of normal elections, news company PTI documented.
(*2*)5 points about Mohd Shahabuddin Chuppu:(*1*)
1. Mohammad Shahabuddin Chuppu was born in the 12 months 1949 in northwestern Pabna district of East Pakistan (existing-working day Bangladesh). He was a chief of Awami League’s pupil and youth wings in the late nineteen sixties and early nineteen seventies.
2. Chuppu was also aspect of Bangladesh’s 1971 Liberation War and was imprisoned for waging a protest soon after the assassination of Bangladesh’s founder Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman- father of Primary Minister Sheikh Hasina.
3. In 1982, he was inducted into the country’s judicial provider and also served as the coordinator of the Bangabandhu murder demo when Awami League returned to the throne in 1996.
4. He retired as a district and periods decide. Publish his retirement, Chuppu served as 1 of the commissioners of the unbiased Anti-Corruption Fee. He afterwards joined politics and grew to become a member of the Awami League Advisory Council.
5. Chuppu’s spouse Rebeka Sultana is a previous joint secretary of the Bangladesh federal government.