Iran-centered Egyptian Saif al-Adel has grow to be the head of Al-Qaeda subsequent the July 2022 demise of Ayman al-Zawahiri, the US Condition Division mentioned.
“Our evaluation aligns with that of the UN — that al-Qaeda’s new de facto chief Saif al-Adel is centered in Iran,” a point out section spokesperson mentioned subsequent the United Nations report which mentioned that Saif al-Adel is now the group’s chief, “symbolizing continuity for now.”
Right here are 5 details on Saif al-Adel, mentioned to be the new head of Al-Qaeda:
1. Al-Qaeda has not formally declared him as the head amid problems of the Taliban authorities in Afghanistan.
2. Ayman al-Zawahiri, the prior head, was killed by a US rocket in a house in Kabul final calendar year, in accordance to the UN report.
Study far more: In inflation-strike Pakistan, petrol charges PKR 272/litre, diesel at PKR 280/litre: Report
3. The UN report mentioned that Al-Qaeda is delicate to the problem of Saif al-Adel residing in Iran. “His place raises queries that have a bearing on Al-Qaeda’s ambitions to assert management of a world-wide motion in the encounter of issues from ISIL,” the UN report mentioned.
4. Saif al-Adel, sixty two, is a previous Egyptian unique forces lieutenant-colonel and determine in the outdated guard of Al-Qaeda.
5. Saif al-Adel served develop the group’s operational potential and experienced some of the hijackers who took aspect in the September eleven, 2001 assault.
6. Saif al-Adel has been in Iran because 2002 or 2003, at 1st less than home arrest but later on designed journeys to Pakistan, AFP described.
7. “Saif is just one of the most seasoned skilled troopers in the globally jihadi motion, and his physique bears the scars of fight,” the report mentioned.
Thank you for subscribing to our publication.